NameJohn Tewsley 76,77, 957
Birth Date23 Jan 180478
Birth PlaceWitley, Surrey, England
Death Date11 Sep 187179 Age: 67
Death PlaceSt. Catharine's, Lincoln Co., Ontario
Burial Date14 Sep 187180
Burial PlaceVictoria Lawn Cemetery, St Catharine's, Ontario
Chr Date26 Jan 180481 Age: <1
Chr PlaceWitley, Surrey, England
FatherJames Tewsley , 959 (1759-<1836)
MotherElizabeth Buckle , 960 (1764-~1840)
Birth Date17 Jul 180082
Birth PlaceWonersh, Surrey, England
Death Date31 Aug 184483 Age: 44
Death PlaceThorold, Upper Canada
Burial Placeunknown
Family ID368
Marr Date19 Oct 182484
Marr PlaceWonersh, Surrey, England
ChildrenElizabeth Augusta , 965 (1825-1895)
 Harriet Theresa , 966 (1826-1883)
 Henry John , 967 (1827-1890)
 Joseph , 968 (1829-1834)
 John Henry , 969 (1831-1903)
 James Henry , 970 (1833-1908)
 Caroline , 971 (1835-1908)
 George , 972 (~1840-1922)
 Lydia G. , 973 (1844-1919)
Notes for John Tewsley
The Founding of Thorold (Origin currently unknown published book)

Before construction began on the first Welland Canal through the Niagara Peninsula in 1824, the vicinity of Thorold was a quiet agricultural community. It had been settled in the early 1790s, chiefly by German and Dutch Lutherans from the United States. Prominent among these early families were the Keefers, the Balls, and the Bowmans. The centre of this community was the settlement of Beaverdams,

The first sod for the construction for the Canal was turned by the Welland Canal Company's President, George Keefer, at a ceremony near Allanburg on November 30, 1824. Work soon began and the arrival of large construction crews and the prospect of an almost limitless supply of water power from the Canal presented opportunities that were quickly seized by local residents.

Stores were opened to fill the needs of workers and contractors, and hotels and boarding houses sprang up. Jacob Keefer applied for a Post Office in 1825 and early the following year one known as Thorold was opened in his store at Beaverdams. He later moved the Post Office to "Deep Cut" to be on the line of the Canal. Another member of the Keefer family, George Jr., opened a store nearby. Numerous shops and businesses soon followed.

One of the first persons of the Thorold area to exploit the water potential of the Canal was George Keefer, Senior. In 1828, he completed a large stone flouring mill with three run of stones near his home on the site of Thorold. The mill lay idle until the completion of the Canal the following year. His son Jacob, received permission from the Welland Canal Company to erect a sawmill in 1828 and he completed it shortly thereafter.

The survey of the town plot was apparently made in 1828, for in November of that year Jacob Keefer was advertising lots in the "New Village of Thorold". He invited "Merchants, Mechanicks, and the industrious and enterprising of all classes" to settle in the new village. At the same time he moved the Post Office from it's temporary location at "Deep Cut" to this new store in Thorold.

Despite the inevitable setback suffered when the large construction crews departed following the completion of the Canal in 1829, the village continued to prosper. In 1832 , in an advertisment in the Farmer's Journal, a St. Catharine's Weekly, Thorold is described as a "beautiful and flourishing village". It was claimed that Keefer's flouring mill was the largest in the province. In addition, there were two substantial sawmills.Three years later Jacob Keefer took a census which showed a population of 370.

It was at this time the Tewsley family arrived in Thorold. What an advantageous time for them!

The establishment of several flour mills during the 1840s made Thorold into the milling centre of the province. Jacob Keefer constructed the Welland Mills, the largest in the province at that time. They had a capacity of about 250 bushels of flour per day and the ship elevator was capable of discharging up to 1,000 bushels of wheat per hour. There was storage for over 70,000 bushels of grain. Other mills operating during this period were Hilton's Corn Broom Factory, Beatie's Tannery and a sawmill. The province's first cotton mill, with twenty looms and seven hundred spindles, was built at Thorold, but operated only for a short time.

In 1850 the community was incorporated as a Village with over 1000 inhabitants. The first Council, with William James as Reeve and George Keefer as Treasurer, met on Jan 21 of that year in James' house. Thorold soon outgrew its Village status and in 1875 it was incorporated as a Town. One hundred years later, after the boundaries of the Town had been greatly extended to include surrounding communities, Thorold became a City. The change took effect on July 1, 1975.

From Township of Thorold 1793 - 1967
Centennial Project of the Township of Thorold in conjunction with Federal and Provincial Governments - published in 1967

Page 257 - In 1849 the teacher was a Mr. Tousley who made extra cash by building a privy for the school (at DeCew Falls) for Three Pounds, ten shillings. It has not been determined which Mr. Tewsley was teaching, but John Tewsley, Senior, his brother James (who may not have moved to Wawanosh Twp near Goderich yet) or another brother William who is also believed to have come over around 1836 or shortly after. James did become a surveyor in Colbourne Twp so he certainly had the ability, but without a full name it will remain one of the Tewsley mysteries.!!
Notes for Hannah (Spouse 1)
Christian Guardian - November 6, 1844, pg 10

DIED, in Thorold, on Saturday 31st August last, HANNAH, wife of Mr. John TEWSLEY, aged 44 years. Sister Tewsley was born near Guildford, Surrey County, England in 1800, and was united in marriage to Mr. John Tewsley in 1824. The family emigrated to Canada and settled in Thorold in 1836. At a Protracted Meeting held here by Brothers Belton and Spencer in 1840 with her husband and two of her children she was converted to God and joined the Methodist Church of which she remained a consistent member until the time of her death.

More than a year since she was laid upon a bed of affliction. She suffered much during her protracted illness but bore all with pious fortitude. She possessed the use of her speech and senses until within a few hours of her death. Her last words were expressive of the "peace" she "felt with all" and her willingness "to go". While the sun was sinking behind the Western horizon, her happy spirit took its upward lift to God.

She left a husband and 9 children to lament her loss. On Monday her remains, followed by a large circle of acquaintances and friends were committed to the silent tomb, there to remain "till the heavens be no more". The occasion was improved by a discourse from Proverbs XIV 32.

Thorold, Oct. 28th, 1844

Rumour has it (from Harriett Cuthbert, Mar 13, 1985) that Hannah Wakeford ran away with the family Coachman - one John Tewsley.
Last Modified NewCreated 17 Nov 2017 using Reunion for Macintosh